Skip to main content

Gluttony





Day 1.
My hotel room has funny looking walls. They’re painted an odd color, but I could live with that. The journey has been exhausting, and I ache everywhere. So I lean back and doze off.
Shortly after, a soft thrumming from the walls wakes me up. A neighbor, probably. My head bobs to the tempo. Mmmm. Catchy. A few hearty sips of my favorite shake. And before I know it, I’m asleep again.
Day 2.
The music is louder. The dark walls stare at me. I stretch my body when I feel it. But how? How could I have grown larger? In what 4 hours? I feel the first tendrils of fear. My tummy growls, needing, nagging. Oh well, a voice whispers from inside. A couple of sips won’t hurt. Right?
Wrong! I balloon bigger and bigger until I hear a comical pop. Wait, is this a dream? Was my shake spiked? I wait a long minute and peek. Thankfully, I’m still intact. But twice as large as before. There are these weird bumps over me and goddamnit, how can I STILL BE RAVENOUS?!
Day 4.
I lose track of time. All I do is marvel at my size and keep sipping my shakes. At one point, I give up all pretense at civility and chug that slop down. I’m mortified but I cannot help myself. And yes, I keep getting bigger.
Days 5-15
Hours morph into days. All I do is eat. There're times where I try my hardest to stop. Then the clouds shift and I’m stuffing my face, thanking the Gods for free food delivery. I struggle with what I’ve become, and how fast my body is expanding. Am I a monster?
Days 15- 30
The hotel has offered me a free upgrade to a bigger room. With walls the color of a dewy rose, this room also comes with premium room service. I giggle with excitement, already thinking about my next meal. My size is a thing of epics and lore.
Days 30-60
Guys, there’s something ticking inside me. I’m scared.Oh! And did I mention I have floppy tubes growing out of my body? I pause a second to take in this fascinating discovery before the hunger calls to me again.
Days 60 - 80.
I’m eating my entire weight in chow and discovering I prefer certain foods over the others. I love spicy flavors but cannot stand garlic.The Chef at this hotel is outstanding and I’m more than keeping her busy.
Days 80 - whenever.
You guys, I was in such a good mood! I have been sampling this scrumptious new Paneer recipe and not worrying about my weight. I thought I’d come to peace with my new body, when I saw the growths. They look like teeth? Also, those floppy tubes from 2 weeks ago sprouted tinier nubs with sharp ends. I’m terrified of someone seeing me like this.
On the bright side, I’m not hungry anymore!
HAHA!! Just kidding. I’m eating around the clock and I’m worried I will explode.Could that happen? Also, do I smell Tacos?
Days 150 - 200
Well, I have superpowers now. All my senses are deliciously heightened. I still have lumps popping up every day, but some of them are useful. I can propel myself in rapid trajectories and pick up on Chef humming her favorite tunes from rooms away. The best part? I can shovel food faster into my mouth hole. Now, if I didn’t worry about physically outgrowing my room, I would press pause and enjoy these new abilities. BUT, now I must eat.
Days 200 - 250
I tried going on a diet. Failed miserably. I’m officially as large as my room. The management and Chef have complained about my size. Bah! Just keep the meals coming.
Day 267
Not to alarm you, but the walls are shaking! Damn, did you hear that shriek? Sounded like Chef. Is she hurt? Can someone check on her?
Day 268.
Chef has been screaming nonstop. My room is vibrating and everything hurts.
Day 269.
Guys, I got kicked out of my room just now. They’re taking me through this dark, narrow alley.
What?!! I’m being pushed through the world’s tiniest doorway. I’m too big, guys!! Make it stop! Oh I can’t breathe! I’m terrified!!!……
... And I’m on the other side. Everything is so loud and bright! I’m losing it! I’m LOSING IT! Arrrghhh!!!
**********************
“Congratulations Maya and Paul! Here’s your beautiful baby girl!”
Day 1.
Guys, I’m so hungry! On the plus side, Chef is ok. She’s rather nice and she has the prettiest eyes.
I think, I’ll call her Mommy!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Mice wear shoes?

The woman hitched up her skirt and continued kneading the dough. Her kids ran around, chasing each other in a quiet pantomime of the real game. They knew too well about bruises and broken bones - presents from their father if they were too loud. The woman cast a sour glance at her husband, asleep in the corner of their shack, his skinny chicken legs peeking out from under his discolored Long Johns.   Outside, the snowstorm raged on, driving the sky to an ugly gray color.   Rather like one of my bruises, the woman thought, with a little flash of anger. She rubbed the small of her   back (which still hadn’t recovered from the “rearrangement” her husband had done two winters ago).   “Mama Mama”, a little voice squeaked next to her.   “Da, my little p rintsessa ?” “Do mice wear shoes?”   The woman didn’t know what to make of that. Mice? In this Russian winter? Her first thought was the beating her husband would give her if he noticed any holes in his sweaters. Ivan di

Girls and Boys and all that noise!

In a curious case of reverse gender inequality, someone asked this question recently. Why is it considered acceptable to say “we want a baby girl”, or even “gender doesn’t matter”. If one wants a baby boy, is it still taboo to express that?

Sssssh!

I have always been a wuss around creepy crawlies. Insects of all manner and snakes. Big problem for me. In fact, as a teenager in Mumbai, I often walked past snake charmers and their kind - mostly on Railway bridges and near temples. I took a wide detour every time I spotted a scaly head bobbing outside that wicker basket. To overcome my fear, I befriended a few of the snake charmers and much to my dismay, one of them invited me to touch her snake. I didn’t want to seem stupid. One shaky finger on the reptile and I promptly regretted everything. From then on, I have been a vocal opponent of all things slithering and I have often been accused of being rather a bore on the subject. The other night, I had finished watching a rather gory episode of the Walking Dead. Gut and brains everywhere and much bashing of zombie heads. Usually I sleep like a fat baby after my nightly zombie dose, but that night I had this intense nightmare. (You know how dreams are trippy? One minute you’re fli