Skip to main content

Pizza and Cake.




This month is a big deal in my house. Nirav turns 9, Reya hits 5 and tomorrow, on the 5th, I turn….well, older. My dad and mother-in-law have birthdays coming up too, and I also celebrate 14 years of being married on the 31st. So August means presents galore and exhausted UPS drivers, dropping off their millionth package at my doorstep, while the kids squeal, “Is that box for me? Amma, is that for me?”

Reya, as expected, is loudly excited about her special day and wants all the sweets! Hey, turning 5 is not for the fainthearted.
And much to our absolute delight, Nirav has been expressing an interest in having a birthday celebration, too with friends. For those of you, who know him, this is huge. But he's insisted on NO cake! (thank you, Autism + Anxiety. No, but seriously, thank you! Some of those baked monstrosities have evil amounts of sugar). 
So we’re likely looking at a combination party event with plenty of cake + Pizza. And lots of poorly designed Mario decorations. 

This month, for their birthdays, we’re also raising money for Queen’s Best Stumpy Dog Rescue. (This nonprofit helps rescue Special needs Corgis and Corgi Mixes and how can you resist that?). We acquired a corgi puppy in January, and that has opened our eyes to other dogs who could do with some support. 

If you feel up to it, follow this link to our fundraiser here:



August is also extra special, because the kids go back to school on the 15th.I mean, I love my spawn and all that, but YAY! I’m marking down the days on my calendar with little, red hearts and it’s so close you guys, I can almost smell it! SO close! Think of me on the 15th, and know I’m dancing inside as I wave goodbye to the kids.

Now, before I sign off, I wanted to say Thank You. My Inbox is loaded with hugs and wishes for all the birthdays and I’m truly so touched. It means the world to receive all this love, and I truly look forward to seeing some of you in person before the month is finished. 

Thank you.
Thank you.
And because it can never been said enough.
Really, thank you!

- Pavi 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Mice wear shoes?

The woman hitched up her skirt and continued kneading the dough. Her kids ran around, chasing each other in a quiet pantomime of the real game. They knew too well about bruises and broken bones - presents from their father if they were too loud. The woman cast a sour glance at her husband, asleep in the corner of their shack, his skinny chicken legs peeking out from under his discolored Long Johns.   Outside, the snowstorm raged on, driving the sky to an ugly gray color.   Rather like one of my bruises, the woman thought, with a little flash of anger. She rubbed the small of her   back (which still hadn’t recovered from the “rearrangement” her husband had done two winters ago).   “Mama Mama”, a little voice squeaked next to her.   “Da, my little p rintsessa ?” “Do mice wear shoes?”   The woman didn’t know what to make of that. Mice? In this Russian winter? Her first thought was the beating her husband would give her if he noticed any holes in his sweaters. Ivan di

Sssssh!

I have always been a wuss around creepy crawlies. Insects of all manner and snakes. Big problem for me. In fact, as a teenager in Mumbai, I often walked past snake charmers and their kind - mostly on Railway bridges and near temples. I took a wide detour every time I spotted a scaly head bobbing outside that wicker basket. To overcome my fear, I befriended a few of the snake charmers and much to my dismay, one of them invited me to touch her snake. I didn’t want to seem stupid. One shaky finger on the reptile and I promptly regretted everything. From then on, I have been a vocal opponent of all things slithering and I have often been accused of being rather a bore on the subject. The other night, I had finished watching a rather gory episode of the Walking Dead. Gut and brains everywhere and much bashing of zombie heads. Usually I sleep like a fat baby after my nightly zombie dose, but that night I had this intense nightmare. (You know how dreams are trippy? One minute you’re fli

The Cargo - Part 1.

The wispy shrub grew without too much fuss. Shy plant, Shame Plant, the Touch-Me-Not. Many names, for the same little fern who withdrew from the slightest touch. A soft breeze, a sudden movement - all of these made the plant fold inward. All it wanted - a handful of soil and a quiet corner of the land. In the early hours of a March dawn, Kalambhai stretched his burly arms and sniffed the air. Might rain today. The Tv predicted Thunderstorms for the entire state. He hoped that wouldn’t mess with the travel time. His clients were rich Europeans, and a bad review from them would not help his fledgling business. News traveled fast in their circles, and he always had goods to move. Almost time. Lajwanti should be ready with the lorry. Kalambhai was an atheist, but having a woman in his line of work? An absolute Godsend. Of course, she was ugly as sin, but he didn’t employ her for her looks now, did he? As he marched toward the large barn, he could see the gray blue fumes of the lorry