Skip to main content

Hurt



Are you a sensitive person? Do you hurt easily and often, when someone is blunt or unkind with you? 



This was me, as a child. I had a decent amount of self confidence, but somehow I did not do well with any negative experience. I bruised over small interactions and never forgot how someone’s cousin’s sister had spoken harshly to me, once. 

My 5-year-old daughter, Reya is exactly the same way.  Cries easily and takes most things personally. She worries about what others think of her and sometimes has a hard time differentiating between constructive criticism and rejection. Matlab, choti choti baaton pe, bade bade aansoon. 😭 

I need to reassure her constantly that she is loved and valued for her mistakes and successes. I tried talking to her about not being so sensitive, about taking things with a brave face. Everything my mom lovingly taught me as a child about how to be a stronger person. 

Before I realized my mistake.

So I switched over to the opposite direction and this is how it went.

“Why are you crying, Reya?”

“Amma! Anya hurt my feelings/I don’t want to play with Neil again/why did Nirav take my toys?”

In the past, I’d have asked her a 100 questions. What happened, who started it, how can you prevent this?
But that’s not important is it? The only thing that matters, is: she feels badly, and she trusts me enough to tell me so. 
Taking a deep breath, I sit at her level.

“I can see how upsetting this is to you, Reya. I can understand. Do you need me to give you ideas or do you just want to cry for a bit?”

“I don’t want to talk about it, Amma.” 

“Ok, why don’t you feel sad for a bit, then? It’s ok to cry when you’re having big feelings. When you’re ready, I’m here to hug you.” 

“I WANT TO CRYYYY! I WANT TO SCREAM!!” Her voice is louder now, because she’s comfortable enough to unleash the true extent of her emotions in front of me. I nod and stay close.

So she sits and weeps for a while, while I rub her back and empathize. I don’t tell her to stop being sensitive, and I don’t argue that it’s not a big deal. It obviously feels huge to her.
After a few minutes, there is silence. Once her sorrow has poured out in angry tears and clenched fists, there is calmness. A deep acceptance, that this too shall pass.

I hug her and plant kisses on her warm, damp cheeks. She gets up, cheerful and already healed, because she was brave enough to face her sadness and make peace with it. It no longer has power over her, and she has let it go. With a smile on her face, she runs off to join her brother and friends on the slides. 

See, when you’re that young, everything seems like a huge deal. Fights with friends, lost toys, scraped knees - they all are equally intense. And when your brain is still developing, it’s hard to change your thought process, just because someone advises you. I mean, even us adults struggle with that, correct? It’s like, if you’re depressed and someone walks up to you and tells you, “oh be happy.” Like, whoa! Thank you boss, if it were only as easy as that!

It’s important to notice “negative” emotions. Sensitivity, fear, rejection, vulnerability. While, these feelings hurt, they are often unavoidable. Rejecting them or pushing them away will not help, at least in the long run. Accepting them helps speed up the healing process. 

True courage is in facing your demons, not running away from them. So what if you want to scream? Do that inside your head, or in a nice, private spot. Cry, if that helps. Don’t shy away from feeling sad. Isn’t it wonderful to care about things so passionately, that your eyes well up? Observe these big feelings and let them wash over you. Watch them float around in your mind, like large, lumpy balloons. It’s so hard, isn’t it? 

But worry not, this isn’t forever. Those balloons WILL get smaller. A few of them WILL lose air completely. 

And sometimes, you’ll realize that you’re ready to open your hands and let those balloons go, into the deep blue sky. 

True courage will only come, when you’re hurt and afraid. 

I learned that recently, from my 5-year-old.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Mice wear shoes?

The woman hitched up her skirt and continued kneading the dough. Her kids ran around, chasing each other in a quiet pantomime of the real game. They knew too well about bruises and broken bones - presents from their father if they were too loud. The woman cast a sour glance at her husband, asleep in the corner of their shack, his skinny chicken legs peeking out from under his discolored Long Johns.   Outside, the snowstorm raged on, driving the sky to an ugly gray color.   Rather like one of my bruises, the woman thought, with a little flash of anger. She rubbed the small of her   back (which still hadn’t recovered from the “rearrangement” her husband had done two winters ago).   “Mama Mama”, a little voice squeaked next to her.   “Da, my little p rintsessa ?” “Do mice wear shoes?”   The woman didn’t know what to make of that. Mice? In this Russian winter? Her first thought was the beating her husband would give her if he noticed any holes in his sweaters. Ivan di

Girls and Boys and all that noise!

In a curious case of reverse gender inequality, someone asked this question recently. Why is it considered acceptable to say “we want a baby girl”, or even “gender doesn’t matter”. If one wants a baby boy, is it still taboo to express that?

Sssssh!

I have always been a wuss around creepy crawlies. Insects of all manner and snakes. Big problem for me. In fact, as a teenager in Mumbai, I often walked past snake charmers and their kind - mostly on Railway bridges and near temples. I took a wide detour every time I spotted a scaly head bobbing outside that wicker basket. To overcome my fear, I befriended a few of the snake charmers and much to my dismay, one of them invited me to touch her snake. I didn’t want to seem stupid. One shaky finger on the reptile and I promptly regretted everything. From then on, I have been a vocal opponent of all things slithering and I have often been accused of being rather a bore on the subject. The other night, I had finished watching a rather gory episode of the Walking Dead. Gut and brains everywhere and much bashing of zombie heads. Usually I sleep like a fat baby after my nightly zombie dose, but that night I had this intense nightmare. (You know how dreams are trippy? One minute you’re fli