Skip to main content

The scariest man in the world.



I’m talking to you because I heard

the wind whispering in the snow
Let me tell you about the scariest man
The scariest man I know.



He wasn’t the monster under my bed.

Or the shadow by the closet door
He wasn’t the creep who felt me up
He wasn’t the corpse on the floor.



He wasn’t the stranger who stalked me

Nor the who looked deranged
He was the man who kissed me hard
And then just like that, he changed.



He put his hand behind his back

And asked me to be his wife
The glint I saw with my shining eyes
Was the glint of his butcher knife.



He became the man who stabbed me twice

Then he laid me down to die
I begged and bled hot tears of pain
But he couldn’t look me in the eye.



He dug a hole in the stained ground

By rote like he’d done this before
The last thing I saw was a pocket of sky
And then I saw no more.



I waited alone, under the dark mud

In my new home that wasn’t mine
But he spun a tale so simple
And the world moved on just fine.



Come tomorrow you’re to be his wife

It’s the same old story you see
When the music stops; he’ll bring out his knife
And bury you right beside me.



If you’re scared by now, you should be

But the dead don’t care to lie
The ground is stiff and rocky here
Grab your shovel and don’t be shy.



See I’m not scared of the scariest man

I’ve had twenty years to wait
My nails and teeth are yellowed and long
And it’s been a long time since I ate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Mice wear shoes?

The woman hitched up her skirt and continued kneading the dough. Her kids ran around, chasing each other in a quiet pantomime of the real game. They knew too well about bruises and broken bones - presents from their father if they were too loud. The woman cast a sour glance at her husband, asleep in the corner of their shack, his skinny chicken legs peeking out from under his discolored Long Johns.   Outside, the snowstorm raged on, driving the sky to an ugly gray color.   Rather like one of my bruises, the woman thought, with a little flash of anger. She rubbed the small of her   back (which still hadn’t recovered from the “rearrangement” her husband had done two winters ago).   “Mama Mama”, a little voice squeaked next to her.   “Da, my little p rintsessa ?” “Do mice wear shoes?”   The woman didn’t know what to make of that. Mice? In this Russian winter? Her first thought was the beating her husband would give her if he noticed any holes in his sweaters. Ivan di

Sssssh!

I have always been a wuss around creepy crawlies. Insects of all manner and snakes. Big problem for me. In fact, as a teenager in Mumbai, I often walked past snake charmers and their kind - mostly on Railway bridges and near temples. I took a wide detour every time I spotted a scaly head bobbing outside that wicker basket. To overcome my fear, I befriended a few of the snake charmers and much to my dismay, one of them invited me to touch her snake. I didn’t want to seem stupid. One shaky finger on the reptile and I promptly regretted everything. From then on, I have been a vocal opponent of all things slithering and I have often been accused of being rather a bore on the subject. The other night, I had finished watching a rather gory episode of the Walking Dead. Gut and brains everywhere and much bashing of zombie heads. Usually I sleep like a fat baby after my nightly zombie dose, but that night I had this intense nightmare. (You know how dreams are trippy? One minute you’re fli

The Cargo - Part 1.

The wispy shrub grew without too much fuss. Shy plant, Shame Plant, the Touch-Me-Not. Many names, for the same little fern who withdrew from the slightest touch. A soft breeze, a sudden movement - all of these made the plant fold inward. All it wanted - a handful of soil and a quiet corner of the land. In the early hours of a March dawn, Kalambhai stretched his burly arms and sniffed the air. Might rain today. The Tv predicted Thunderstorms for the entire state. He hoped that wouldn’t mess with the travel time. His clients were rich Europeans, and a bad review from them would not help his fledgling business. News traveled fast in their circles, and he always had goods to move. Almost time. Lajwanti should be ready with the lorry. Kalambhai was an atheist, but having a woman in his line of work? An absolute Godsend. Of course, she was ugly as sin, but he didn’t employ her for her looks now, did he? As he marched toward the large barn, he could see the gray blue fumes of the lorry