Skip to main content

Gone with the wind

My daughter, Button is obsessed with Helium balloons. Every trip to a store or supermarket, and she adds to her balloon harem by 1. Disney balloons, random Chinese character balloons, birthday balloons, emoji balloons. As long as they float and bob, they are A-ok in her book.
A couple of months ago, she found a particularly garish looking smiley-emoji balloon. Someone had decided that the basic two eyes+ toothy grin combo wasn't enough for this balloon. NOO, it had to have those extra large eyes and a creepy smile that would impress a serial killer. And for some reason, the artist who designed the balloon had even added a little red nylon tongue extension which happily flapped up and down when the balloon floated. All in all, a pretty macabre toy.But guileless kids, full of innocence loved the damn thing and Button was no exception. So we got it home and my kids spent countless hours playing with it.
Over the next week, the balloon slowly lost some of its helium. When at first, it needed to be weighed down with a small rock; now it sort of floated aimlessly. Even the nylon tongue lay limp, only flapping whenever the balloon happened to float near an air vent. The kids moved on to other toys, and the balloon hung out at odd locations in the house, sinking lower and lower every day.
One Saturday morning, my mom (who's visiting us from India) was up at her usual 5 am and went to the living room to do her Pranayams and Yoga. Mid breath, she spotted something floating near the edge of the kitchen. Squinting in the dark, she recognized the sinister smile. Now my mom is a pretty awesome lady - equally talented at whipping up the perfect dosa and running half marathons without breaking a sweat. She doesn't scare easily. So while the floating balloon made her pause, it didn't really increase her heart rate. Well, at least not until she opened her eyes again and saw the balloon had drifted a couple of steps closer.
The air vents were off and she couldn't really sense a breeze. A mild sense of unease crept into her. She finished her pranayams quickly and decided to take action. Grabbing the floating offender, she pushed it into the hallway bathroom. A few minutes later, she heard a small rustling sound. Looking up, she saw a half leering face smiling at her from the corner of the hallway, tongue lolling out. The balloon's string had somehow escaped the bathroom knob (she still swears she'd tied it securely!) and the stupid thing was now bobbing back to the hall, like the world's slowest zombie.
She turned her back to it and started her stretches. She could sense movement behind her. The balloon kept floating back and forth, back and forth.Bobbing slowly. Simple harmonic motion.... at its scariest.
It then got worse.
Every time she finished a set of Yoga asanas and opened her eyes, the balloon had floated closer. First a foot. Then some more. Now she was properly scared and was half considering waking me up. Then she remembered her brave ancestors who'd fought at weddings for extra vadas and kheer.Channeling their courage and never-give-up spirit, she decided to ignore the balloon. For the next 15 minutes, she stretched and leaned and bent and twisted. Breathing a little harder than usual, she was almost finished when something flitted across her face. The next thing I know, I was woken up from a nice dream by my mother, who looked 90% terrified and 10% embarrassed.
It was dawn pretty soon and feeling smug and heroic; I marched to the living room. The culprit was floating insipidly near the kitchen. I tied the string to one of my old stilettos and put it in the backyard. My mom smiled at me sheepishly and I assured her that it's ok to feel scared, while managing to stifle some giggles. We both sat down for some coffee and banter.
That afternoon, my mom was roused from her nap, by a little squeaky voice singing "Happy birthday". She felt tiny hands tapping her face and upon opening her eyes, she saw my daughter proudly beaming. "Wake up wake up Renu (she calls my mom by her name).It's your birthday today. Look, I got you a shoe".
In my daughter's hand was the stiletto. And suspended 2 feet above that, was a wrinkly old balloon. Smiling and tongue flapping.

Epilogue: Weeks have passed. Renu goes by her day, a stickler for routine. Her face is cheerful, her movements efficient and graceful. But if you look deep into her eyes, you can see the shadows there. Memories of the horrors she has faced. She jumps easily at floating leaves. She avoids the party section aisles of stores. And she refuses to come to birthday parties. She is still brave. But like the bravest of us, she is haunted by her own floating demons.
Based on a true story.The author has somehow managed to write this without bursting into too much laughter. The author's mother is starting to feel seriously annoyed by this. As a result of this, the author may be refused some delicious, piping hot Sambar. If that the price the author must pay for a good story, then so be it. ðŸ˜‚😂😂





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Mice wear shoes?

The woman hitched up her skirt and continued kneading the dough. Her kids ran around, chasing each other in a quiet pantomime of the real game. They knew too well about bruises and broken bones - presents from their father if they were too loud. The woman cast a sour glance at her husband, asleep in the corner of their shack, his skinny chicken legs peeking out from under his discolored Long Johns.   Outside, the snowstorm raged on, driving the sky to an ugly gray color.   Rather like one of my bruises, the woman thought, with a little flash of anger. She rubbed the small of her   back (which still hadn’t recovered from the “rearrangement” her husband had done two winters ago).   “Mama Mama”, a little voice squeaked next to her.   “Da, my little p rintsessa ?” “Do mice wear shoes?”   The woman didn’t know what to make of that. Mice? In this Russian winter? Her first thought was the beating her husband would give her if he noticed any holes in his sweaters. Ivan di

Girls and Boys and all that noise!

In a curious case of reverse gender inequality, someone asked this question recently. Why is it considered acceptable to say “we want a baby girl”, or even “gender doesn’t matter”. If one wants a baby boy, is it still taboo to express that?

Sssssh!

I have always been a wuss around creepy crawlies. Insects of all manner and snakes. Big problem for me. In fact, as a teenager in Mumbai, I often walked past snake charmers and their kind - mostly on Railway bridges and near temples. I took a wide detour every time I spotted a scaly head bobbing outside that wicker basket. To overcome my fear, I befriended a few of the snake charmers and much to my dismay, one of them invited me to touch her snake. I didn’t want to seem stupid. One shaky finger on the reptile and I promptly regretted everything. From then on, I have been a vocal opponent of all things slithering and I have often been accused of being rather a bore on the subject. The other night, I had finished watching a rather gory episode of the Walking Dead. Gut and brains everywhere and much bashing of zombie heads. Usually I sleep like a fat baby after my nightly zombie dose, but that night I had this intense nightmare. (You know how dreams are trippy? One minute you’re fli