Skip to main content

Perfectly average



Somewhere in the first year post spawning my older son, I dropped all pretense of perfection. The first to go were any and all attempts at using concealers and other makeup miscellanies (seriously, does anyone really know how primers work, or if they even do)? I traded in my sleek dresses and snazzy shoes for stretchy yoga pants and slip-on sneakers. The baby didn’t really care and thought I was just divine as long as the milk-burp-diaper cycle was running like clockwork. So I embraced this new paradigm and proceeded to act busy.

I wasn’t THAT busy. Of course, I was viciously sleep deprived and pretty happy to talk about it. I got really good at making this vague clawing gesture anytime someone asked me to ‘sleep when the baby sleeps’. I also spent a disproportionate amount of time obsessing over baby bodily functions (I’ll spare you the details, except to tell you it rhymes with hoop and sometimes tarts). Housework existed, as did the world outside my motherhood bubble but (somehow) I had convinced myself that I needed to look perpetually disheveled — because that’s what society expects of a new mother. I felt guilty after I took a long shower as if devoting a few extra minutes to myself meant I was ignoring the baby. Even though I had this amazing supportive family, I chose to be the ‘martyr’ and did everything myself, just so I could convince myself that I was a good mother.(I know it sounds laughably ridiculous, but try telling that to my hormone-addled brain). My two best friends then were regret and resentment. I was starting to dislike this whole “mom” business because none of my choices guaranteed me any sustainable peace.

A few months later, my OB gave me a diagnosis of Postpartum anxiety and depression. I was ironically happier post the diagnosis because at least now I could tell myself that I wasn’t such a selfish witch for wanting to have an occasional morning to sleep in. I started working out and seeing a therapist and a year later I was back to my quasi-chirpy self. The kiddo was almost 3 and chugging along and finally, I felt like I had some semblance of balance in our lives.

Then I got pregnant again. 9 months later, a sweet baby girl showed up. This time around, I was wary. I knew to expect the blues, so I was every vigilant. I dropped the ‘martyr’ act. I gladly took all the help I was offered. I tried to catch up on as much sleep as the new gremlin baby let me. I remembered to put on lipstick when I was starting to feel bleak. I was best dressed on particularly dismal days. I went out more with the baby. Joined a group therapy class. Exercised and generally tried to be as social as is possible with a child attached to the boob.
Thinking back, the depression hit me harder the second time around. Much worse and peppered with random moments of utter grief. But somehow I felt more at peace. Calmer and more connected with myself and the baby. Probably because of the happy pills as I was on, but also possibly because I finally realized that motherhood is what I make it to be.

I was a perfectly average mom, flawed to the gills. And that was exactly who I aimed to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Mice wear shoes?

The woman hitched up her skirt and continued kneading the dough. Her kids ran around, chasing each other in a quiet pantomime of the real game. They knew too well about bruises and broken bones - presents from their father if they were too loud. The woman cast a sour glance at her husband, asleep in the corner of their shack, his skinny chicken legs peeking out from under his discolored Long Johns.   Outside, the snowstorm raged on, driving the sky to an ugly gray color.   Rather like one of my bruises, the woman thought, with a little flash of anger. She rubbed the small of her   back (which still hadn’t recovered from the “rearrangement” her husband had done two winters ago).   “Mama Mama”, a little voice squeaked next to her.   “Da, my little p rintsessa ?” “Do mice wear shoes?”   The woman didn’t know what to make of that. Mice? In this Russian winter? Her first thought was the beating her husband would give her if he noticed any holes in his sweaters. Ivan di

Sssssh!

I have always been a wuss around creepy crawlies. Insects of all manner and snakes. Big problem for me. In fact, as a teenager in Mumbai, I often walked past snake charmers and their kind - mostly on Railway bridges and near temples. I took a wide detour every time I spotted a scaly head bobbing outside that wicker basket. To overcome my fear, I befriended a few of the snake charmers and much to my dismay, one of them invited me to touch her snake. I didn’t want to seem stupid. One shaky finger on the reptile and I promptly regretted everything. From then on, I have been a vocal opponent of all things slithering and I have often been accused of being rather a bore on the subject. The other night, I had finished watching a rather gory episode of the Walking Dead. Gut and brains everywhere and much bashing of zombie heads. Usually I sleep like a fat baby after my nightly zombie dose, but that night I had this intense nightmare. (You know how dreams are trippy? One minute you’re fli

The Cargo - Part 1.

The wispy shrub grew without too much fuss. Shy plant, Shame Plant, the Touch-Me-Not. Many names, for the same little fern who withdrew from the slightest touch. A soft breeze, a sudden movement - all of these made the plant fold inward. All it wanted - a handful of soil and a quiet corner of the land. In the early hours of a March dawn, Kalambhai stretched his burly arms and sniffed the air. Might rain today. The Tv predicted Thunderstorms for the entire state. He hoped that wouldn’t mess with the travel time. His clients were rich Europeans, and a bad review from them would not help his fledgling business. News traveled fast in their circles, and he always had goods to move. Almost time. Lajwanti should be ready with the lorry. Kalambhai was an atheist, but having a woman in his line of work? An absolute Godsend. Of course, she was ugly as sin, but he didn’t employ her for her looks now, did he? As he marched toward the large barn, he could see the gray blue fumes of the lorry